Re: APT broken ?

On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 03:14:56PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Fabien Ninoles wrote:
>
> > IMHO, the only thing missing in the debian schemes is a special
> > `Provides: <package> (=version)' who can resolved dependencies with
> > version (notes that only the equal sign is meaningful here and
> > <package> should be a real package name, not a virtual one). This is a
> > lot of complex changes but will open Debian to a world of possibility
> > (especially new parallel distributions and more configurability).
>
> APT fully supports versioned provides, but does not parse the information
> out of the Package description files (no agree upon format, no dpkg
> support). Someday it might get enabled.
>
> Jason

Oh well, seems I didn't read carefully the new version of the
Packaging manual.  Can you point me to somewhere where I can find
something about the disagreement for the format (which I don't
understand, it seems pretty unmeaningful to make a package provides a
range of version, it's like having a package with more than one
version!). I currently try to make me up-to-date with the development
of debian and it appears that I missed lot of things...

thanks.

Fabien Ninoles
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
You can get my public key from your nearest public keys server!
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70