Re: APT broken ?

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > I think that you and I are looking in the opposited directions with
> > respect to depends. You wish, rightfully, that a package on hold
> > should have the packages it depends on held as well. (unless the newer
> > version will still statisfy the depends of course) You don't want the
> > held package broken by its dependencies being violated.
>
> > I'm looking at the other side. I want a package on hold to continue to
> > satisfy the dependencies other packages have on it.
>
> Er.. if the dependency has an explicit version relationship, how does
> not having the right version satisfy the dependency? If it doesn't,
> what's the problem?

I'm not sure that I understand you :-(

The status file contains version information so such dependencies can
still be determined.

Manoj wants packages which his package depends on to be held appropriately
if his package is put on hold.

I want a package to continue to provide dependencies to the packages that
depend on it, and not let them move ahead, in an upgrade, if the provided
version that is on hold can't satisfy the new package's needs (as it did
for the old version)

I think I may not have made that clear enough to Jason either ...

> I think what you're looking for is the mechanism to declare local
> work as a package.

Yes, but I also want that mechanism to allow unpacked but unconfigured to
appear as though completely installed for purposes of depends. This is
sometimes necessary and useful in squirming out of corners.

Consider the perl package that you can unpack, but not install, because of
faults in the post install script. If this perl version is required by the
the rest of the system, in depends or pre-depends, then marking the
package as "install ok hold" would allow the rest of the installation to
proceed.

Luck,

Dwarf