Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 03.04.98 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980403110929.2421M-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > Previously Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > >
> > > Like that the client specifically asks for the link file? When I
> > > download the msdos directory using MC, unless I specifically request
> > > that MC "follow symlinks", I get just what I want, the symlinks, and not
> > > the actual files (I already have them).
> >
> > An FTP server knows nothing about symlinks. The client can parse the
> > output of "ls" and check for symlinks itself.
> >
> > > When a DOS FTP client asks for the file, it asks for the symlink, gets
> > > it, and can't do anything with it. The result is a zero length file on
> > > the DOS machine.
> >
> > If I use doe Novell FTP client (also running DOS, with the Novell network
> > stack) I do get the file, not the symlink.
>
> I didn't say that ALL dos ftp clients were broken! The Novel FTP client is
> one of the ones that works. Try the trumpet-winsock FTP client and your
> results will not be the same.
>
> This isn't a matter of "it can't be done on DOS", but only a matter of
> "several clients used in DOS are broken".

Yes. And I'd bet those that can't get symlinks, will break on _every_ ftp
server that doesn't do a Unix-"ls -l"-style output for the long directory
listing. Which includes most non-Unix ftp servers.

> Also, this is a very small nit. There are other, more pressing
> constraints, that keep hard links from being a solution to this problem.
> While mkisofs knows how to copy the hard links correctly, "cp -a" does
> not, and the result is two copies of the hard linked file. (or as many
> copies as there are hard links)

Hmm. It seems cp -a is indeed broken in that regard (this is a bug, the
manpage claims this works). Filing a bug report.

So use tar or cpio to do it instead.

MfG Kai