Re: APT broken ?

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, G John Lapeyre wrote:

> > > This is a serious problem and really has to be solved eventually.
> > > In particular it makes apt completely useless on this system where
> > > I have a couple packages installed but unconfigured because I don't
> > > want to install the packages they depend on.
> >
> > I have no intention of supporting this in the near future. I suggest you
> > look at the equivs package.
> >
> > Thinks like this wreck havok with the ordering algorithm and the
> > installation sanity checks and if you want to disable those then apt
> > provides no benifit for you.

> 	On the other hand, how many people have a perfect installation ?
> (I guess about 0% (of all,not just developers) , let me know if I'm
> wrong). It might be very difficult to have a perfect installation,

APT will -never- allow you to do something that results in broken
dependancies, it does very complete checking of this at all stages of the
installation.

If you solely use APT for installation this will never be an issue,
generally with dpkg it is not an issue, but there are some ways you can
convince dpkg to install packages that breaks dependencies without it
telling you.

I'm thinking strongly about making a command or option to 'jump start'
things by figuring out how to correct the packages..

I have actually never seen a normal system that has a perfect dependancy
setup when I first bring APT onto it, I fix it and I never see the errors
again - I wonder how much subtle breakage has happened on these machines..

Jason