Re: Distribution ordering

On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 01:57:12PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Fabien Ninoles wrote:

> > > APT does all of them - in effect it tracks all available versions and can
> > > apply any selection algorithm - including a user selected specific
> > > version. As it is the command line/dselect stuff simply selects the
> > > highest avail version in all cases as that is what dselect methods are
> > > supposed to do.
> > >

> > Not really true for dselect... As Drake says, the dpkg --merge-avail scheme
> > override the old package availability with the new packages list passed as
> > arguments *whatever the version is it*. I make it works for me by putting
> > project/experimental first before any distribution than I get the interesting
> > part of expreimental (see new packages not available elsewhere) without seeing
> > my dpkg-ftp, gcc and cpp stable package override by the 1.5.1 or 2.8.1(bis)
> > experimental versions of this packages.
>
> <groan> So now I have to figure out how to defeat that. Wonderful. It's
> not feasable for APT to handle things in the same way, it's scheme is much
> more flexable and not exactly compatible with the dselect UI :|

The importance here is to have always the same package installed that
the user select.  The problem with dpkg-http was that it didn't select
the right package to upload compared with dpkg --print-avail [who used
the available files].

Then a user (like in my case) see gcc-2.7.3.4 selected (and may be
already installed) in the Select step, then, in the Install method,
see the 'want: gcc-2.8.1_i386.deb'.  This confusing a little, not?

The best solutions, compatible with dselect should be to always use
the available file to find the good version [I think this how dselect
work for getting the Available Version of Select]. If APT use another
scheme [as I think so], you should used the same scheme for the
download. The problem [if it is one] here is it possible to have
dselect and apt *not* have the same list of available package... May
be apt should always updated the available file correctly? OTOH,
changing method in dselect always need to run Update first.

> > Also, I thank Drake for this good maintenance... dpkg-http is really the best
> > method available, in term of functionnality. ;) <no kidding, everyone make a real
> > good job here, there the best beta time I never see before, Deb 2.0 will really rock!>
>
> Wait a week :>

Sure I do... But my linux box are really in hurry. Here listen my
keyboard:

...aptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptapt... ;)

> Jason
> APT

Fabien Ninoles
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
You can get my public key from your nearest public keys server!
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70