Re: Building glibc 2.0.7 using hamm

> > Now, I'm not The Amazing CVS Expert, but I do know that any version of CVS
> > greater than 1.9 is an "interim release" which I think www.cyclic.com
> > describes as "only slightly tested." Since the hamm freeze is in place and
> > CVS 1.9.26 adds significant new features since 1.9.10 -- AND 1.9.10 works
> > pretty well -- I personally don't think it's a good idea to change CVS
> > versions at this point.  Even using 1.9.10 makes me a little queasy, but I'm
> > not the maintainer and it's been there a long time and it seems to work so I
> > don't complain :)
>
> As the point release numbers get larger 1.9 gets more bug free. Why would
> moving to a more functional, less buggy release be a "good idea"?

I assume you meant "why _wouldn't_ it be a 'good idea'"?

The problem is that the "more functional" means the creation of new bugs
in addition to the fixing of some older ones.  If the changes from .10
to .26 were bug-fixes only, there would be no problem.  As soon as these
release are steps along the development cycle, there is a large potential
for problems.

> > Just out of curiosity, what on earth does libc6 _do_ during its build
> > sequence that requires such a new CVS?  When your C library requires a
> > version control system just to compile, the chicken-and-egg problems start
> > to get really confusing :)
>
> It isn't required, but if you have it installed (as many do), the
> configure step will recognize that it is there and configure the tests. I
> guess that the assumption is that you may have made changes that will
> need to be "checked in" at the end of the build process. The make files
> and configuration process were designed by the upstream developers to
> satisfy more than the needs of Debian. This is a side effect of that
> additional functionallity.

Hmmm...  I don't suppose there is a flag that can be given to configure that
will disable this feature?

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )