Deity still stuck

I am still unable to get deity from the deity_19980324-1 package
running.  The command "dpkg-get update" hangs after the error on
/Packages.gz.  Eventually I have to kill it.  It appears that the
package cache never gets built properly.

The problem is that it is looking for the unstable directory on
but there isn't one.  There is a "frozen" directory.

Is there a way of overriding this?  There is no manual page for
dpkg-get that I have seen and a cursory glance at the output of
"strings /usr/bin/dpkg-get" didn't show me where it is pulling its
configuration information from.

Suggestions welcome.

 root@verdi:~# dpkg-get update
 Starting Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Starting Get of http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/stable/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Finished Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Starting Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/stable/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Finished Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/stable/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Starting Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Finished Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Starting Get of http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Finished Get of http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/stable/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Starting Get of http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/unstable/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Finished Get of http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/unstable/binary-i386/Packages.gz
 Err:/Packages.gz 'Downloading' 0
 root@verdi:~# dpkg-get
 You must specify a command: update, install, check or remove
 root@verdi:~# dpkg-get check
 Updating package file cache...
 W: Package file /var/state/deity/lists/llug.sep.bnl.gov_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages line 8316 package libg++27-dev has a self referencing provides, ignoring.
 E: Opening /var/state/deity/lists/llug.sep.bnl.gov_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages - ifstream::ifstream (2 No such file or directory)