Re: RFC: local-config-independant hyperlinks between docs

Yann Dirson <ydirson@a2points.com> writes:
> Here's the problem:  Some packages in the distribution have a doc
> which features references to other package that *may* be installed,
> but on which they don't depend.
>
> This is often solved by making these hyperlinks point to a non-local
> URL, where this document can be found.
[...]
> Here's a solution I thought of.  It surely needs some improvements,
> and only the basic idea is there - it only handles HTML - it does not
> address httpd-less machines, unless the browser can run a cgi script
> by itself.
[...]

I would assume that a lot of Debian users (maybe not developers, but
users) will *not* have a web server install.  Futhermore, this
solution just seems like overkill.  I guess I would just chalk up link
integrity and flexible URI support as a wishlist item for Debian 2.1
(where hopefully we'll have a unified documentation system present
too, which additionally can deal with install time or on-the-fly
document conversion.

For now, why not just have markup like:

  If you have the <tt>foobar-doc</tt> package installed, you have a
  documentation for package Foobar already.  Otherwise, go to the <a
  href="http://www.foobar.org/";>main site</a>.

What's wrong with that?  Works with or without a web server.  Is
helpful with or without the package foobar-doc.