Re: Request for help with X keyboard config

On Mon, Mar 30, 1998 at 10:17:23AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> The keyboard configuration section of the policy manual is awfully terse,
> but very demanding.  I don't personally understand enough of the issues to
> deal with getting X to conform to the policy, not yet anyway.  So I'd very
> much appreciate it if some people could volunteer to help.
>
> As far as I can tell, the right keystroke events are generated when the
> backspace and delete keys are pressed.

Yes.

> The trick is getting all the apps under X to listen and do the right
> thing.

For xterm you need

Xterm*VT100*translations:       #override \
        <Key>BackSpace:                 string(0x7F) \n\
        <Key>Delete:                    string("ESC[3~")

For athena widgets you need

*Text.translations:  #override \
                         <Key>Delete: delete-next-character()

(Backspace already does the right thing)

Many specific apps will need changes, but that's not your problem.

I'm not sure the best place to put these though; probably in the
/etc/X11/Xresources file. It might be easier to patch the source so these
/are the defaults.