Re: non-free software

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Bob Hilliard wrote:

Hello,

OOPS - I did not mean to start a flame war.  May I give
a little more context to my original post?

I will use the Debian packages when I can.  If xv doesn't
come with Debian, maybe I will use a substitue if it is
as functional, or close.  However there are packages
like netpbm which, to my knowledge cannot be replaced.
If this package was not available as a
debian package, I would have to go with another distribution or
hunt the net for the tarball and compile it.
However, netpbm is available from debian.org, so I will
download it.  A pain since I have a bad connection.

I hope you continue to support packages like xv and netpbm.
I think there are too many good packages out there for
the freeware community to ignore.  If you support them
please make them as easily accessible as possible.
As I said before I, and I am sure others, will use
ultra-free software before the semi-free software,
and commercial software as a last resort.

King Lee
king@ultrix6.cs.csubak.edu