Re: tcsh should be removed from hamm

On 30 Mar 1998, Guy Maor wrote:
> tcsh is a pretty important package, and it would be quite a surprise
> for our users if it were missing.  My simple attempt at reproducing
> the problem (send tcsh a SIGHUP) failed, so next time it happens to
> you, do an strace on it and include that in the bug report.  That will
> help Vadim figure out where the process is.

	Here is one way to reproduce it.  I am not sure how much is
essential, but I'll tell exactly what I did:
	1. work from the account of a user with login shell set to
/usr/bin/tcsh.
	2. Login at the console.  Start a new tcsh at the command prompt.
Start another tcsh at the second command prompt. (more shells will produce
the bug, fewer will not.)
	3. Log in as the same user on another virtual console. Enter 'kill
-6 pid' where pid is the pid of the login shell on the first console.

	The second instance of tcsh (ie, the first one after the login
shell, hangs and consumes processor time).  I know nothing about systems
programming, never examined strace output, but this is what I see:
	The second (hanging) shell sees its child exit:

sigsuspend([INT] <unfinished ...>
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) ---
<... sigsuspend resumed> )              = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system
call)

	Then there appear a couple more lines.  Then 15 lines which repeat
forever.
	It looks like Luiz is the current maintainer.  Let me know how
much of this stuff to put in a bug report, and I'll do it.

	John

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>