Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

> You can get the inode number of any file with ftp.
>
> ftp> ls -i
>
> And build a inode num to file map or array.

strictly speaking this is relying on the ftp servers implementation of ls.
Some ftp servers - particularly those written for paranoid implementations
of anonymous ftp will not support this as they just provide the bare minimum
functionality.

It would be a mistake to build an elaborate structure on the assumption
that the ftp protocol says you can get hold of inodes.

Personally I also find the soft links useful in their own right as an
indication that some file is 'really' another file. With a hard link there
is not the same concept of one particular name for a file being the master.

		John Lines