Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

> > in other words, using bind is the right thing to do. it's a good general
> > solution that works for everyone, and it doesn't require bizarre in-place
> > edits of config files (which might be good for some people, but
> > infuriating for others).
>
> How do you tell bind to use different forwarders when the user dials up a
> different isp?
> --
> John Hasler

There are other considerations too - I have a laptop with an Ethernet PCMCIA
card, which can be plugged into the network at work, or to the home network,
and it also has modem and ISDN cards for ppp connections. I pick up the
appropriate ethernet networking configuration using BOOTP, served from either
the servers at work or my home system.

Thus the most appropriate name servers to use, and other networking information
can be set be either PPP or by the information picked up by bootp when the
ethernet network connection comes up.

Perhaps there should be a more general network configuration mechanism shared
by ppp and the pcmcia services. (for example /etc/network/ip-up.d etc)

	John Lines