Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

[You (Adam Heath)]
>On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
>> i just thought of something else. as well as the DIR file, could also
>> have a SCRIPT file which is a shell script allowing the user to do any
>> other customisation. even better, have PREDIAL.sh (to be run before
>> dialing) and POSTDIAL.sh (to be run after dialing).  PREHANGUP and
>> POSTHANGUP scripts could also be useful.
>
>Already done.  Please search the email archives on debian-devel for "New
>handling of scripts external to PPPD (ie ip-up, ip-down)"

Adam, you scheme looks very interesting.  But I wonder whether we can
generalize the issue of the network state of a Debian box changing based
on the state of the network connection.  Realize that the *same*
resolve.conf issues, etc, etc are plaguing the way that PCMCIA machines
are configured.

With IPv6 and more and more flexible, mobile systems, this is going to
become a more important issue to solve.

I'd like to see some way to change the network state of a machine (which
may depend on the packages installed) based on a unified, extensible
mechanism.  A mechanism which would apply as well to PCMCIA ethernet
jacks as to PPP (or even term??) connections.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to store a profile of the network traits
in some sort of easy to parse format (XML??) i.e.,:

<profile name=my_isp>
  <trigger/ppp:my_isp/
  <hostname/blah/
  <domainname/onshore.com/
  <nameserver/206.69.88.3/
  <nameserver/206.69.88.4/
</profile>
<profile name=localnet>
  <trigger/enet-ip:192.168.33.0/
 <trigger/default/
  <hostname/blah/
  <domainname/fake/
  <nameserver/192.168.33.1/
  <gateway/192.168.33.1/
</profile>

In these two example profiles, I've gone further and even setup a
"trigger" for the profile, i.e., what network event causes this profile
to be enabled?

Obviously this would require a lot of thought and planning.  I just
wanted to point out that the problem of switching network state for
different PPP providers should be attacked as the more general problem of
switching network state w/o user intervention, based on network or
hardware events.