Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

On 27 Mar 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> craig sanders writes:
> > in other words, using bind is the right thing to do. it's a good
> > general solution that works for everyone, and it doesn't require
> > bizarre in-place edits of config files (which might be good for some
> > people, but infuriating for others).
>
> How do you tell bind to use different forwarders when the user dials
> up a different isp?

you don't.  that's the user's job. auto-mangling config files is EVIL!!!

what you can do, however, is provide a mechanism to make the user's job
easier.  this could be done by setting up an /etc/isp directory containing
chatscripts, resolv.conf, bind config, and other stuff which needs to change
for each isp.

say the user has three isps...call them moe, larry, and curly.   That would
give three subdirectories:

    /etc/isp/moe
    /etc/isp/larry
    /etc/isp/curly

in each of these subdirectories are config files to be copied over ("cp -f"
or "ln -sf") the real config files.  also, a file which maps these files to
their target location.  call that file "DIR".  it might look something like
this:

    resolv           /etc/resolv.conf
    chatscript       /etc/ppp/chatscript
    named            /etc/named.conf
    foo              /etc/foobar.conf

filenames are completely arbitrary.  the DIR file maps them to the right
target location.

a script to copy an existing config file and add an entry for it into the
DIR file in the current directory would be useful here.
e.g. "cp-isp /etc/resolv.conf ./resolv"

this is just the rought outline of an idea....i'm in a hurry at the moment
(got to cook dinner before my partner gets home :).    details may
change...i.e. /etc/ppp/isp may be a better place than /etc/isp.

i just thought of something else. as well as the DIR file, could also
have a SCRIPT file which is a shell script allowing the user to do any
other customisation. even better, have PREDIAL.sh (to be run before
dialing) and POSTDIAL.sh (to be run after dialing).  PREHANGUP and
POSTHANGUP scripts could also be useful.

enjoy.  i'm off to the kitchen.

craig

--
craig sanders