Re: Request for policy advice on X server manpages

On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 10:21:26AM -0500, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> Let me join the above mentioned quarters and point you to a more serious
> problems with X packages. Whether you have a simlink from /usr/... to
> /etc/X11/XF86Config, XF86Setup still wants sometimes to remove it and
> place its config in /usr, resulting in 2 different config files and no
> simlink. Another, more impotant thing is as somebody mentioned some time

Yes I had this problem badly on a bo system the other day. I removed
the existing XF86Config (it had never been set up properly). I ran
XF86Setup, which appeared to create the file in /etc, but when I ran
X it looked in /usr (if I recall correctly). I symlinked them together
and it worked.

Then I ran XF86Setup again using the existing file, and it removed
the link in /usr, and wrote a configuration file which was complete
garbage -- only 640x480 defined etc!

The multiple XF86Config files problems seems to be a big one in bo,
although I haven't mucked around with XF86Setup in hamm in ages.

Hamish