Re: teTeX package licenses and their distribution restrictions (long)

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Richard Kaszeta wrote:
>
> > Non-DFSG Compliant Packages:
> >
> >   makebst (It may not be distributed in exchange for money)
> >   float   (You are not allowed to distribute this file[2])
> >   foiltex (non-profit use only)

These three are quite blatantly non-DFSG free, or undistributable, I'm
not sure why you quoted them.

> >   german  (You are NOT ALLOWED to take money for the distribution
> >            or use of either this file or a changed version, except
               ^^^^^^
> >            for some nominal charge for copying etc.[3])
> > [3] Actually, I think these can go in 'non-free' only
>
> Actually this sounds just like the Artistic License, which is specifically
> called out in the DFSG as being a compliant license.

The artistic license doesn't say you're not allowed to make money out
of *using* the software; that is a big restriction and fails #6 of the
DFSG IMHO.

--
James