Re: How backspace is broken in Debian

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 02:27:54PM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:

> > By the way, I think if we're going to be fiddling with the terminfo
> > entries, we should set TERM to something new, like xterm-debian and
> > rxvt-debian.
>
> I think that ideas like this have been mentioned before, and the general
> consensus was that it is a bad idea.  It leads to more problems and
> headaches that it solves.

But calling two different terminals 'rxvt' makes it impossible for me to run
them both on my system and get adequate results.  It loses all the
advantages of termcap/terminfo.

If we have a terminal called rxvt-debian, I can either install my own
termcap/terminfo entry for that terminal on the remote system (ncurses can
see the ~/.terminfo directory, for example) or just run a script like this:

	if [ "$TERM" = "rxvt-debian" ]; then
		export TERM=rxvt
	fi

(that's bash, convert to your favourite shell as necessary).

To clarify my point, if both terminals (ie., Debian and the usual one) call
themselves rxvt, I cannot compensate for this using scripts like the above
or by providing my own terminfo.  If one calls itself rxvt-debian and the
other calls itself rxvt, the _worst_ I'll ever have to do is simply change
my TERM conditionally back to rxvt.  But, if the target system (perhaps a
Debian one) already has termcaps for rxvt and rxvt-debian, it will support
either terminal flawlessly.

What are the problems that make this undesirable?

Avery