Re: How backspace is broken in Debian

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 01:26:05PM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:

> Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> writes:
>
> >  - The rxvt terminfo entry is wrong, last I checked.  It lists completely
> >    the wrong keys for home/end.
>
> This might be an rxvt bug.  The terminfo entry is for the standard rxvt,
> but the upstream maintainers have added a compile time option to make
> the HOME/END keys behave like the Linux console.
>
> Which do we want?  An rxvt that behaves like the Linux console or an
> rxvt that acts according to the Rxvt Technical Reference?

I think that Debian recently adopted a "keyboard policy" that works the way
the Linux console does.

Hmm, or maybe that didn't specify the bindings for Home/End.  It should try
to say something about that, if it doesn't.  I would say that if we're going
to be changing our terminal types anyway (see massive changes to xterm
backspace/delete) that we might as well change them to all be the same.

On the other hand, other systems already have the "old" rxvt termcap
installed.  Changing rxvt to match would be a benefit in that case.

By the way, I think if we're going to be fiddling with the terminfo entries,
we should set TERM to something new, like xterm-debian and rxvt-debian.

Have fun,

Avery