Re: XFree86 3.3.2-1 ... come and get it, boys

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 03:25:36PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 12:12:46PM -0600, David Engel wrote:
>
> > There is a very serious error in the xlib6 package.  The libraries
> > were built with libc6 when they should have been built with libc5.  If
> > a user installs this package, it will break any libc5-based X programs
> > they have.
>
> *sigh* I thought I had avoided this.  I will set about correcting this ASAP.

It *appears*, on first analysis, that a simple one-character typo caused
xlib6 to be actually built with the right libraries, but dpkg-shlibdeps
was called told to read shlibs information from the wrong file, and claims
dependency on the wrong libc.

If true, this means you can do a --force-depends install of xlib6 with
your old libc5 around and it will work.  Would anyone care to test this?
I will, but it will be a few hours before I can get back to my home
machine and check this out for myself.

As others have pointed out, netsape is a good litmus test program for this
problem.

Once I have the answer, I'll do another build and hopefully have 3.3.2-2
uploaded tomorrow.

Was X this much grief for Stephen Early and Mark Eichin?

I apologize for the buggy build.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |
Purdue University                   |    Music is the brandy of the damned.