Re: GS, fonts, type1inst, dtm & Co.

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> OK, I finished dtm-0.4. The bad news are that LaTeX support isn't
> there, because it's a real fuss (fontinst helps but I don't know
> how much information ask a developer to put in the package...)
>
> The good news are that is stable enough to be used to install
> real fonts. Can you tell me what will be the name of the config
> file?

I have just uploaded gsfonts_4.01-7. The name of the config file is
/etc/gs.Fontmap.

> It would be nice if you can download dtm and try it out (I've
> put in it all the font info required to install the adobe 35 std
> fonts... you have just to cut'n'paste to add dtm support to
> ghostscript)

I'll try it next week-end. I'll also try to package the gsfonts
so that dtm is used to install the fonts.

> Another little thing... I think we need a better place than
> /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts for the type1 fonts. What about leaving
> the .gsf there and moving the ATM compatible fonts to
> /usr/share/fonts/type1/outlines?

In my opinion, all the fonts should go under /usr/share/fonts:
what about moving also .gsf fonts there (perhaps in /usr/share/fonts/gsf)?

> It would be really cool if you
> can find the TFM files somewhere and put them into
> /usr/share/fonts/type1/metrics. (The TFM files are a *must*
> for LaTeX.)

I'll do this. However, please consider the possibility to
instruct dtm to extract tfm files directly from the font files).

There is an utility (printafm) that extract afm font metrix from type1
fonts (it is in the ghostscript package), and
there is an utility (afm2tfm) that converts afm metrix files into
tfm metrix files (in tetex-bin). We could try to merge the two utilities
(or try to find one that already extracts tmf metrix files from type1
fonts...)

Ciao,

Marco