Re: Feb 20 boot disk problems

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 09:50:06PM -0500, Chris Fearnley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During an installation from the Feb 20 boot disks I ran into several
> problems.
>
> First, much of the explanatory material doesn't fit on the screen.
> And there seems to be no way to scroll to read the rest of these messages!
> Not very user-friendly.

Which "explanatory material"? You mean the messages that appear before
the "boot:" prompt?

> I tried using the NFS method.  It asked me to choose the directory under
> the mount point where the archive resides.  When I selected /hamm, it then
> prompted
>  -- list
>  -- manual
>
> I choose "list" and was returned the first step of the install (that is,
> choosing color and then proceeding to keyboard config) and it changed the
> screen to black and white when I had color.  I was able to skip to the
> already mounted method and pick up where I had left off (that was nice --
> but should have been unnecessary).  Still things were odd and the list of
> allready mounted filesystems to choose from was duplicated 6 times:
>   disks-i386/1998-02-20
>   disks-i386/1998-02-20
>   disks-i386/current

Yes, there was a bug in the routine that created the list, that travelled
the subdirectories twice. It's fixed (I hope) in the current development
version (to be uploaded tonight or tomorrow).

> Finally, and this one is very serious IMO, the /etc/fstab entries created
> for my non-root partitions has "0" for the sixth (fs_passno) field.
> Typically this should be "2".  As a result, after a crash the non-root
> filesystems are not repaired!

Yes, I found that myself the hard way. :-( It's fixed too.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						ezanardi@ull.es