XFree86 3.3.2

Hello,

After discussing it with Mark Eichin, I am taking over maintainership of
XFree86.  Mark has agreed to be fall-back maintainer and to be a bit of
a mentor for me in this task, and even to reclaim maintainership in the
event it proves too much for my feeble mind.

Reason being, Mark has too much to do right now to get a build of 3.3.2
ready for hamm.  As we're already technically under the wire, I'm in the
process of rebuilding Alex Romosan's unofficial .debs of 3.3.2 and will
upload them to frozen and unstable as soon as they are done.  I've been
running these .debs of Alex's for the past day or so and they seem fine.

This release will have the Debian version 0, to reflect the fact that it
is a Debian BETA.  You may very well not want to install this version
at all.  It is my intention to get this thing out of the gate now.  The
next thing on my list is to attack the release-critical bugs, then
apply the bugfixes to the last version that Mark made.  Seeing as the
3.3.2 .debs are working on the systems where people have tried them
(gathering from IRC), I see no reason that they should be placed in
project/experimental.  I do want to warn folks who mirror, however, that
with any luck -1 will be out within a week.  I will include a cautionary
note with the upload announcement when that happens, I just wanted to
offer a "heads up" now.

Come hell or high water, I intend to have those release-critical bugs fixed
by release time for 2.0.  If they aren't, I'll understand if this is held
back.  But I think it would be good to have 3.3.2 in Debian 2.0.  Maybe
that's just a blind attempt to appease the market, though.  :)

After that, my goals are to move the rules file to debhelper and, at the
same time (because debhelper makes this easier), attempt lintian
compliance.

This is a big job for a package with 41.5 megs of compressed sources, so I
will also be assembing an "X Strike Force" whose purpose is to help battle
the bug war and generally have clues where I don't.  Manoj Srivastava has
already graciously volunteered to help troubleshoot problems with xcontrib.

I also want to work with the debian-sparc people about getting xserver-sun
integrated into the Debian release, if not upstream.

I do not presently intend to incorporate the SuSE X servers into Debian; I
don't know their licensing, I don't know that they've been caught up to
3.3.2 yet, and I've heard rumors that some of them are superseded by this
release of X anyway.  Should the SuSE servers continue to be valuable to
enough people, however, I have no objection to working with people who'd
like to package them separately.

If you have any concerns, please followup on this thread.  I'd like to do a
good job with X, though I know I have big shoes to fill.

Thanks, Mark, for bringing us this far.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 | If you wish to strive for peace of soul,
Purdue University                   | then believe; if you wish to be a