postinst: how to do something only if upgrading

Hi,

I have an open bug against my Samba package: the user says that the
postinst asks whether to configure or not the package everytime he
upgrades the package to a newer version.

I agree that the postinst should ask only the first time and not
everytime the package is updated but I just don't know how to tell
when the package is being installed for the first time or just being
upgraded.

Also, the postinst changed at some version number so I need to know if
the packages is being upgraded and also what's the version number being
upgraded because if it is an old version I need to ask the question.

Any advice/suggestion on how should I do this?

Thanks,

E.-

--

Eloy A. Paris