Re: Initial draft proposed constitution (v0.3)

-K
Kevin Poorman <ewigin@softhome.net> <ewigin.home.ml.org>
Do the Free-Ride <free-ride.home.ml.org>

On 22 Mar 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I wrote:
> > I'd prefer an asynchronous medium.  Good luck getting ten developers on
> > irc to debate and vote on proposals.
>
> Jason writes:
> > Actually we already have about 15 (about 30 drop by from time to time). I
> > think it would be fairly simple for someone on IRC with a good proposal
> > to get the pre-requist seconds in about a day.
>
> I would think that the formal debate and voting would have to take place on
> a special channel set up and managed for that purpose alone.  That is where
> I think you would have trouble getting ten developers together.  If you did
> it would be the same ten all the time, and that would not be good.
>
> > I'd guestimate that about 20%-30% of the active developers have been seen
> > in #debian.
>
> What do you propose to do for those who cannot get on irc?
>
> I would much prefer a system that sends a ballot to every developer.

since we all use PGP to sign our packages it should be rather simple to
setup a "debian" key and have the server send via encrypted-signed email a
ballot in which the developers can vote and turn in by replying and
signing. It should also be fairly simple to create a script that tallys
the votes and discounts any duplicates from the same address, delete any
in signed ballots and delete the ballots of non-developers.