Re: kernel or syskold not supporting flavours

Hi,
	[I seem to be getting the feeling that noone pays any attentio
	to me here]

	There is one place where the version/flavour is  stored that
 gets translated to a number; in the other place it still is a string.

	The only program that looks for System.map and also looks for
 LINUX_VERSION_CODE (the number) is klogd, AFAIK. And there is a
 workaround for that. Does that solve this issue?

>>"Martin" == Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:

>> 0018a144 D Version_131105
>>
>> ...obviously it is not.  You probably spotted the problem !

Martin> And that's why I think Linus won't support it but please prove
Martin> me wrong :-)

        There are two different places where the version number gets
 included. One is LINUX_VERSION_CODE, which is a pure number, and can
 not accomodate arbitrary flavours, and the other is UTS_RELEASE,
 which can.

        However, the correct way of making flavours work with klogd is
 to edit  /etc/init.d/syslogd like so:
#  Use KLOGD="-k /boot/System.map-$(uname -r)" to specify System.map
#
KLOGD="-k /boot/System.map-$(uname -r)"
   .... /sbin/klogd $KLOGD

        This works; I have tested this. I have also modified the
 Flavours proposal to include this workaround.

        This is what the Flavours scheme advocates you do.
 include/linux/version.h: ./Makefile
-       @echo \#define UTS_RELEASE \"$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL)\" > .v
er
+       @echo \#define UTS_RELEASE \"$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL)$(INT_F
LAV)\" > .ver
        @echo \#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE `expr $(VERSION) \\* 65536 + $(PATCHLE
VEL) \\* 256 + $(SUBLEVEL)` >> .ver
        @mv -f .ver $@

 "When in doubt, print 'em out." Karl's Programming Proverb 0x7