Re: gtk-dev package bug?

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:
>     Marcelo> Ok. I'm not looking at you. I have my eyes closed. Ho peI
>     Marcelo> xan type thid... ;-)
>
>     Marcelo> But when you say "that's where they want it"... do you
>     Marcelo> mean it's impossible to change? Is it hardcoded? Also,
>     Marcelo> glib means... ???  gtk lib?
>
> I've been told it's in /usr/lib/glib/ because it's become
> architecture-dependant.
>
> The explanation of moving it is in the GTK list archives,
> at http://www.findmail.com/listsaver/gtk-list/3511.html
>
> I'm getting the feeling that moving it was a BIG mistake..
> shall I move it to /usr/include? :/

It can be moved to /usr/include for Debian, but I don't see too much gain.

-----
`glibconfig.h' is architecture-dependent -- so it makes sense for it to
be under $exec_prefix in a generic package.  `/usr/include' is
architecture dependent according to the FHS, so a distribution can
decide to move `glibconfig.h' there I guess.  (Note that the GNU
standards, rightly IMHO, disagree with the FHS on this point: header
files usually go into $prefix/include ==> architecture-independent
directory.  That was why glibconfig.h had to move, it didn't satisfy the
GNU standard definition of $includedir).

As for any inconvenience wrt using `glibconfig.h':  The recommended way
to look for gtk/glib headers is to use

	`gtk-config --cflags`

which resolves to `-I $includedir -I $libdir/glib/include'

and for the libraries in

	`gtk-config --libs`

which resolves to `-L $libdir'.

A debian package would be configured with --prefix=/usr (and more
importantly without specifying --exec-prefix), and hence

	$includedir = /usr/include
	$libdir     = /usr/lib
-----

The alternatives are:

* Keep the status quo.  It will work.

* Move glibconfig.h to /usr/include.  If you do so, however, also patch
  gtk-config to not emit `-I $libdir/glib/include'.  For that matter,
  patch gtk-config to emit empty strings for both `gtk-config --cflags',
  and `gtk-config --libs': /usr/include and /usr/lib are in the
  corresponding search paths, anyway.

I don't mind either.

- Hari