Re: Re^2: Are we in this for ourselves?

Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com (Marco Budde) writes:

> Really? In German only very few people use RedHat, but a lot of use SuSE
> or Debian.

I somewhat doubt these numbers given the fact that SuSE, Redhat and
even Slackware (in this order) have been given very much more exposure
than Debian.  The inclusion of Debian with computer mag CD-ROM's and
the great Debian CD set made by Lehmanns is a quite new development
actually.  Redhat seems to be favoured by authors of famous German
Linux books like the one from Michael Kofler.

> The problem is that the project is missing democratic decision (for
> example the Debian logo). It#s a very bad idea, that only very few people
> are making the decision.

No, there is no missing democratic decision.  I really don't even want
to bother about things like a logo or a package management tool's
name.  This is just useful for slowing down Debian's development
impetus and i really don't even want democratic participation with
such issues.  My time is better invested in other things.  I primarily
want to contribute the packages i do like to use with a good Linux
distribution and see it released on a more regular basis.  I don't
want to have to make decisions about minor issues we really shouldn't
care about too much.  I personally feel my role within Debian to be
more like a package maintainer and not a real developer.  My
contribution grounds on the work done by the core developers and i
prefer to not bother about things i'm really not competent enough to
bother about.

> And it#s not acceptable that we needed nearly one year to release a new
> Debian. Bo is absolutly out of date.

Possibly too much democratic slow downs? ;-)

                              Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig