Re: Splitting the distribution for CDs

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Joost Kooij wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > > Can Deity handle several CDs sequentially ?  (If not, what will we do ?)
> >
> > I think that at least dselect can handle this fine. Just keep al the
> > packages mentioned in one Packages file (which /could/ be duplicated on
> > the second cd.) One would then only need to run "Install" on each cd in
> > turn. The only care that needs to be taken is to ensure that no packages
> > on the first cd depend on stuff that is on the second cd.
>
> Note, that by current policy (section 2.2) `no package may depend on a
> package with lower priority value.'  Thus, if we put only packages out
> of main with priority required to standard on the first CD-ROM, and
> everything else on the second, everything should be fine.

Actually, No. The trouble is that Deity's ordering routines are very
complex and do alot to make an upgrade go smoothly. It is
impossible to order the packages on the CD's so that one group can be
unpacked before the other in all cases and keep the safe ordering.

The issue that one of the ordering critiera follows reverse dependancies
which in a simple case means it may unpack something like Chimera before
unpacking xlib but will configure in the other order. Read the Deity
archive for some insight into why..

I'm not sure what to do..

Jason