Re: Are we in this for ourselves?

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 10:07:26PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> I think that with such a large body of developers, we can afford to
> become a bit more selective about who we either accept or who we allow
> to stay with Debian.  My vote is to get rid of the "bad apples".  And
> by this, I don't mean get rid of new people or people that don't
> maintain a lot of packages or whatever.  I mean get rid of the people
> that insist on causing trouble for us and get in the way of things
> running smoothly.  We need to have a procedure for the removal of a
> developer.

I don't think that this is workable, as Debian is a project with open
development. And developers that work hard may well say something in a
hurry, that was probably not so polite. As long as it is not too often,
there is nothing wrong with it. And the other developers shouldn't jump
on the train and start a never ending thread, too.

More important than selecting developers is the developer database. We
really need some information how many people actually are working on Debian.
This will help to have some overview.

Marcus