automating custom package installation

To the devel boys....will deity make this task any easier?

After doing a full install of all the default packages and compiling a
new custom kernel....(you're going to lose kernel module support if you
do this so you need to set up your custom kernel beforehand):

dselect
access cdrom
install
+ on "ALL PACKAGES"
let it do it's thing and answer a few questions using a standard 1.3.1
cdrom

when thru upload the list of packages needed to build the firewall on to
the system by ftp or floppy, "pkgs_build", (previously prepared).

pkgs_build in this format:

adduser
at
base-files
base-passwd
bash
bin86
binutils
bsdmainutils
bsdutils
cpp
cron
debianutils
diff
dnsutils
dpkg
dpkg-dev
dpkg-ftp
e2fsprogs
ed
electric-fence
fileutils
findutils
gcc
gdb
getty
grep
etc.......

then run dpkg --get-selections | grep - -v -f pkgs_build |
sed 's/install/purge/' | dpkg - --set-selections;
dpkg --purge --pending

This seems to work....pretty much.....of course it would probably be
better to find a way to avoid installing the extra packages in the first
place.

It did fail to remove:
dialog
libnet
smail...says MTA was not installed (I didn't fool with configuring it on
                                    initial install)

NOTE: I did it this way instead of preparing a custom distribution as I
figured it would be more useful to the folks that have access to
instructions/script and standard CDROM.....but don't have easy access to a
fancy pre-made custom debian firewall distribution kit.

Love to have some comments......ie how do I use the "force" option with
dpkg, etc...?

	Henry Hollenberg     speed@barney.iamerica.net