what's so, and acknowledgement (Re: laggy lintian)

At 9:34 PM +0000 1998.03.11, James Troup wrote:
>Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>
>> Why are you thinking I'm `blaming' you for bugs???

>The implication here is that we are at least partly responsible and we
>should have done something earlier.  I object strongly to that
>idea.

   As the package maintainer, wouldn't you agree that you're "at least
partly responsible"?
   Christian wrote "If you had done X, then Y" -- he didn't say that you
*should* have done X.  Nor did he say that you're irresponsible for not
doing X.  "Should have" is your own creation.

>[ long explanation of lintian and it's raison d'etre snipped ]
>
>> In summary, please don't take these bug reports to seriously--just
>> handle them as any other bug report. If the problems are already
>> fixed, just close the bug report.
>
>I did; *you* were the one who started this discussion on debian.devel
>and implied that I had a) had critical bugs against by packages open
>for months if not years, b) only ``just'' fixed them, and c) had the
>all-powerful lintian to thank for finding of these bugs.  None of
>which is true.

   None of which he said.

   The months/years figure applies to "most packages", not "your packages".
Et cetera.  Re-read the quote and see if you find any of the allegations
you mentioned.

   James, it looks to me like you've put in a lot of work (as a volunteer,
no less) for a worthy cause, and someone said something and you feel
invalidated by it.  And maybe this isn't the first time in your life,
either.  Am I on track here?
   So I want you to realize that we recognize and appreciate your
contribution.  I may not be aware of the full extent, but I've seen your
name on these lists, and I know you're actively participating -- especially
during this crunch to meet the freeze deadline.  I'm clear that I have you
to thank that I have a Mac running Debian.

   We're all playing a big game here -- thanks for being on the team.

Josh

--
Joshua Juran                          Metamage Software Creations
=)                                         Tools for Wizards