Re: Uploaded libjpeg 6a-11 (source i386) to master

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Mark Mickan wrote:

> ============ From gs-aladdin/make.txt ==============
> The *head.mak files also compile and link the jpeg library into the
> executable.  Ghostscript doesn't offer a SHARE option for this library,
> because in order to be compatible with Adobe interpreters, Ghostscript has
> to compile the code with the non-standard definition
>         #define D_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU 64
> This is in contradiction to the JPEG standard, but at least some real
> PostScript files require this.  A shared system library would not be
> compiled this way.
>
> After discussion with Marco (gs-aladdin maintainer), we have found 3
> possible solutions.
>
> 1. Statically link gs-aladdin with patched libjpeg (which is against policy)
>
> 2. Recompile all packages depending on libjpeg (which would require the major
>    version to be changed since the interface has been changed)
>
> 3. Leave it as it is and let some ps files be broken (which seems silly if
>    we can fix it)
>
> At the moment we're going with option 3, but any other input is welcome.
> I personally feel 1 might be an even better option, but it may require some
> change in policy.

I agree with your technical decision. Number 1 is probably the best fix. I
disagree that policy needs to be changed to accomodate this "deviation".
Policy has begun to become an edict of behavior that is neither to be
questioned or violated. Yet it is what it says it is...policy, not
gospel. We have a policy of building packages against shared libraries
because it creates a better integrated set of programs and reduces overall
system resource usage. But there are several programs that, for other,
more pressing reasons, must violate that policy. ld.so comes to mind as
one of those programs that must be static linked in order to function
properly. As I understand your arguments, you have a good reason to
violate the Policy in this instance and that should be all that is
necessary.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_   Author of "The Debian Linux User's Guide"   _-_-_-_-_-_-