Re: laggy lintian

On 11 Mar 1998, James Troup wrote:

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>
> > Why are you thinking I'm `blaming' you for bugs???

> The implication here is that we are at least partly responsible and we
> should have done something earlier.  I object strongly to that
> idea.

This note wasn't addressed to anyone directly, it was just a general note.
My point was that the bugs I reported are outstanding for a long time so
people shouldn't be too picky if the lintian report was a few days behind.

Just take the copyright policy for example. The lintian tag
`no-copyright-file' showed up in 178 package of the 185 bug reports.  I'm
not sure when this policy has been introduced, but it's at least included
since policy manual 2.1.2.2 which was release 3 Dec 96. With that, these
bugs are in the packages at least for 15 months.

But of course, if you just took over the package, noone expects that you
fix all bugs immediately.

> [ long explanation of lintian and it's raison d'etre snipped ]
>
> > In summary, please don't take these bug reports to seriously--just
> > handle them as any other bug report. If the problems are already
> > fixed, just close the bug report.
>
> I did; *you* were the one who started this discussion on debian.devel

No, neither did I. Someone else (I forgot who--but that doesn't matter
anyways) posted a reply to the bug report to debian-devel.

> and implied that I had a) had critical bugs against by packages open
> for months if not years, b) only ``just'' fixed them,

The statement wasn't directed to maintainers you just took over a package.
I apologize if this offended you.

> and c) had the all-powerful lintian to thank for finding of these bugs.

Are you `blaming' me now that Lintian did find bugs?? If you want to take
over Lintian's job and report the bug yourself, feel free to do so.

I was really surprised how many `common' bugs lintian detected since we
just started to write a few checks (we have plans to write many more
checks). Without wanting to praise my own work, I'm sure lintian is a
useful tool. Of course, it can't replace a hand written bug report and it
sometimes makes mistakes too. But we already had lots of `hand written'
bug report with mistakes, so this shouldn't be a big problem.

How many of the bugs included in the 185 bug reports would have been fixed
without the Lintian reports??

Cheers,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/