Re: laggy lintian

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>
> > If someone has a network connected machine which is easily reachable for
> > me, which contains an _uptodate_ mirror of everything (at least, arch
> > all+i386+source), which has about 500mb spare to keep the lintian lab, and
> > which has a low load to be able to run lintian, I'd love to get an account
> > on that machine. Otherwise, we'll have to live with the current situation
> > until lintian is installed on master--which will take a few more weeks I
> > guess.
>
> The bug reports shouldn't have been filed until lintian was more closely tied
> with the archive, ie installed on master.

No, the reason for filing the bug reports _now_ was the approaching code
freeze deadline.

> Yes, the bugs may have existed for a while.  But, we all have limited
> time, and might have missed the earlier messages about lintian bug
> findings, and it is only now with the code freeze pending, that we are
> all scrambling to fix all available bugs.

Huh?? I do have limited time too! Can you imagine how much time it takes
to check out if the mirror was successful, to fix any archive bugs which
prevent lintian from working, to update the lintian reports, check the
reports against the last one, write the lintian script that produce the
bug reports, verify some of the reports, send mails, ... ? Since only a
few of the 185 bugs have been fixed within the view days between the
archive timestamp and the bug report filing, I think that the decision to
file the bug reports `even if they could be obsolete' was correct.

I'll not waste more time on this discussion...

Cheers,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/