Re: Status of Debian-Alpha

Tan Wee Yeh wrote:

> Sorry to pop into this list just like that but I would like
> to know the status of the debian alpha port.  We have an DEC
> workstation hanging around but the installation DEC did for
> us is rather messy and we are looking for an alternative OS.
> Debian came to mind since I'm using hamm-i386 without any
> problems and am rather familiar with debian's organisation.
> My supervisor gave a go-ahead but to play safe, I would like
> to know if this is "stable" enough for a general work
> machine and an estimate on amount of space required for a
> rather extensive installation (means development tools, X,
> tcl/tk, perl...).  I can probably fix some of the problems
> myself if they are not too serious.

Right now, I would say that Debian-Alpha is very stable and usable for
most tasks.  I've been using it to generate Debian packages for awhile
now (over six months) and haven't had any major problems to speak of.
As for the space estimate, I've got every development tool known to
man (save X and emacs) installed on my UDB and everything fits in
about 400MB of space.  I doubt you'll need most of the libs that I
have installed, though, so you could probably get away with a trimmer
installation.

> Btw, I am also looking forward to becoming a maintainer for
> the alpha port but perhaps should first get an alpha
> installation working :P.

That would be cool :-)  There are a handful of us working on the port
still, so any assistance would, of course, be appreciated.  What kind
of workstation do you have, out of curiosity.

Chris

PS...I moved this discussion to the debian-alpha list since it's
Alpha-only anyway :)