Re: sendmail future

On 9 Mar 1998, Jens Ritter wrote:

> Richard A Nelson <kenpocowboy@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> > As the new maintainer of sendmail, I'm asking for your help in two
> > places.  I doubt the interest level is high enough to warrent keeping
> > this on the list, so replies here or private are welcomed.
> >
> >   1) future direction
> >
> >    I'm soliciting ideas you have for sendmail - no promises, except
> >    to add the items to my current wishlist.

I had some problems in the past (8.8.5 or 8.8.7) implementing single
threaded delivery.  Not sure if the problem exists, so I'll test and
report to you privately.

> I would like to have the check_* rules in the distribution.
> from
> http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/%7Eca/email/check.html

I'd like to suggest that we be careful here.  Although I haven't looked at
those rules in particular, I've recently developed a long list of rules
for check_* which don't follow typical usage of those rules, but work
exceptionally well.  It's the fact that those rules can be used in so many
ways which makes me cautious about how Debian should present them.  (For
the curious, I implement a list of spam addresses, spam domains, and
protection against unresolvable hostnames and RBL, all in my check_mail.
My check_relay or check_rcpt are used to prevent relaying, depending on
the purpose of that host.  I'd be happy to share...just contact me)

  --Pete (mailing list account)