Re: It is here: the Debian upgrade method for the future: a prototype.

On 10 Mar 1998 srivasta@datasync.com wrote:

> 	dpkg-get also has the capability of mixing several sources;
>  and I do think it has the capability of deciding what to get from
>  where automatically (umm, at least, I think it does).

Yep. It picks the first source listed in /etc/deity/sources.list for the
version it is trying to download. For instance, if you had a CD:

deb file:/cdrom/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/binary-i386/

Will tell it to fetch everything it can from the path /cdrom/debian and
only http the updates. The final line adds the non-us stuff into the mix.

> 	I don't know when it actually downloads files; I would be
>  surprised if it downloaded files before the consistency check; but we

It would download directly before ordering which is right after the
consistency check but before any loop detection or unpacking.

Jason