Re: It is here: the Debian upgrade method for the future: a prototype.

that has been posted as well.

Hi,

	dpkg-get also has the capability of mixing several sources;
 and I do think it has the capability of deciding what to get from
 where automatically (umm, at least, I think it does).

	This method has stronger consistency checking than any I have
 known, and it goes to extraordinary lengths to minimize the time that
 a package is broken (it unpacks and configures packages in different
 orders to minimize down time).

	I don't know when it actually downloads files; I would be
 surprised if it downloaded files before the consistency check; but we
 shall see; and if needed ask Jason to defer downloading so that we only
 download files which are indeed install candidates.

	manoj
--
 "I am, therefore I am." Akira