Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before freezing Hamm

On Sun, 08 Mar 1998 21:43:20 +0000 Mark Baker wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 08, 1998 at 03:36:25PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
>
> > I'm all for exim as the default mailer, though I seem to recall this
> > conversation before.  Wasn't the issue something to do with UUCP?
>
> Exim doesn't support UUCP very well. It can handle UUCP, or any other
> mechanism you can dream up, as a transport, but doesn't grok bang addresses,
> which many UUCP sites still use.

That's true. But most sites which use UUCP
use Internet-addresses over UUCP, so this isn't the problem:

> I don't see this as being a problem. Only a tiny minority of people use
> UUCP, and there's nothing stopping them using smail---
Heyh! UUCP is the ideal transport system in countries with high to exorbitant
telephone taxes (e.g. most of the Europe).

I'm using exim with UUCP and it works very flawlessly.
[History: I wasn't able to
compile smail on a libc6 system and finally gave up and switched to exim.
With exim I had to switch to dbm databases, since it overwise would
sigsev in the .db routines, but I heard that this is solved in the meantime.
]

For those who are interested, this is my UUCP config:
#  Transports:
uucp_pipe:
  driver = pipe;
  command = "uux - -a$sender_address -r $host\!rmail ($local_part@$domain)",
  pipe_as_creator,
  restrict_to_path,
  path = "/usr/bin:/bin",
  return_output

#...

# Routers
uucp:
  driver = domainlist,
  transport = uucp_pipe;
  route_list = "* YOURUUCPNEIGHBOR byname"
documented in the exim main page when I configured exim (is it now?).
An exim-UUCP-Howto is IMO badly
needed.

David
--
David Frey (B98D36A9) = 51F35923114FC864 7D05FF173C61EFDE
  -- Henry Spencer