Re: What to do about checksecurity

Hubert Weikert <weikert@muninn.cube.net> wrote:
> It would be nice to make checksecurity as a own package. This package
> would be more visible than a hidden functionality of the cron package.

Maybe, but there's a larger problem we have with the packaging system:
helping users find the appropriate software for some task (installed,
or maybe installable).

The biggest obstacle here is the sheer volume of files and packages.
I think something on the order of an "index by subject" is the right
solution.  [E.g. the firewall people might want to start a general
set of indices on security related binaries and documentation.]

> This new package could be extended with security relating scanning
> operations, like checksum checks of important files, or even be combined
> with suidmanager.

I'm not sure I understand why combining it with suidmanager would
help?

--
Raul