Re: Future of Netscape packages

On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 09:52:10AM -0500, Brian White wrote:
> > Since Netscape now has "unlimited distribution", it would be nice
> > to see a non-installer Netscape package with the binaries included.
>
> As I understood it, it was only the new version.  Previous versions (both
> 3 and 4) still can't be distributed that way.  Please let me know if
> I'm incorrect about this.

You are right that the free licence doesn't apply to old versions, so we
won't get them in main.

However, at the same time as announcing that netscape 5 would be open
source, they made some minor changes to the version 4 licence that might
allow us to put version 4 into non-free; I'm not sure exactly what the
changes were so I'm not sure.