Re: Perl CPAN<->dpkg connectivity?

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Here is an idea I've been pondering about for the last few days.  I'd

> 1. Install CPAN or something based on it under Debian.

	Its a good idea.  It has been discussed a bit on this list.  There
are some problems.  I have packaged a couple of items from CPAN, and for
both  I had to do some fiddling that could not have been automated.
Although the ethic for perl modules is
	perl Makefile.PL
	make
	make install

and you are done, in practice some modules don't (can't ?) work that way.
However a script that builds a ./debian dir for a given package might be
nice, along with provisions for an simple way to add neccessary fiddling.
I think a developer will still have to try each package and possibly make
a fiddle file, but it would be quicker than building a package from
scratch.

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>