Re: Need some Linux+Pilot users to package existing software

On 6 Mar 1998, Steve Dunham wrote:

> bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:
>
> > Some of the Debian GNU/Linux developers are also using the Pilot.
> > Debian already includes a pilot-link package in its next version.
> > It would be nice to have the compiler and other tools, especially
> > ones that are free software.
>
> > I love mine. I don't go anywhere without it.
>
> Nice to hear you're a fellow Pilot user.

Maybe we should set up a debian-pilot@ list? Seems like many people here
use a Pilot...

> I also have to make decisions about where to put stuff.  binutils
> wants to install /usr/bin/m68k-palmos-coff-* which clutters /usr/bin
> up.  Some of the utilities are also in /usr/m68k-palmos-coff/bin so I
> may just leave the /usr/bin ones out.
>
> What do our other cross compilers do?

I'd vote for putting naming the executables /usr/bin/m68k-palmos-*
and provide links like "/usr/bin/m68k-palmos/gcc ->
/usr/bin/m68k-palmos-gcc". That way, only prepending 1 directory in your
PATH allows you to use conveniently the cross-compile tools. (That's the
setup I used to cross-package *_mips.deb packages on an i386).

> Other stuff that needs to be done (easy, but I'm not working on it):

>   pilotmanager (graphical syncing program that uses pilot-link)

Already exists: http://www.slac.com/pilone/kpilot_home/
(And yes, as the name suggests, KPilot depends on libQt)

	Vincent,
	"Yet another Pilot user"

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -