re: marketing: master or servant?

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Marc Lepage wrote:

> Either technology is pushing this flow, or customers are pulling it. Ever try to
> sell customers something they aren't convinced they need? It's hard. And it's
> not good to sell a willing customer something you know is an inferior product.

But the customers are already pulling the flow. Look what happens on the
mailing lists. Do you need a marketing department to tell the tech
department what the customers want (as happens in most software companies,
I think) or do you want the customers to talk directly to the tech
department? The latter is happening right now already for Debian.

Also, I think you can not really separate technology push and customer
pull for Debian. How many times has a user become a developer just to
incorporate a program he wants into the distribution?

Remco