Re: overwrite any file with updatedb

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 08:41:58 +0100, Sascha Runschke wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 01:57:33PM -0500, Bryan Andregg wrote:
>
>> >That's a solution?  Sounds like Russian Roulette.  It narrows the
>> >window if danger tremendously, but doesn't eliminate it.  There must
>> >be a better answer.
>>
>> The solution is not to patch to make harder to predict file names but to
>> create those files with mkstemp instead of mktemp. Sorry I wasn't more clear
>
>> in the first place.
>
>In my humble opinion *any* temporary file created with root-privileges
>should reside in a special tmp directory like /var/adm/tmp or something
>equal. This would deny *any* symlink-attacks, no matter how poor the
>design of the program used is. You cannot rely on something which is not
>proven to be used by everbody. So mktemp and mkstemp, etc.  should
>go and make their files in the desired directory if called by uid or euid
>0.

You are probably right. The issue in this case is that the files created
aren't owned by root though, they are owned by nobody.

--
                Bryan C. Andregg * <bandregg@redhat.com> * Red Hat Software

"Donnie were much more 'user-friendly'. May be you selective
       about friends:-)" -- Levente Farkas

"Hey, wait a minute, you clowns are on dope!"
	-- Owen Cheese in 'Shakes the Clown'