Re: UNIX and ease of use

On 3 Mar 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> > 3.  Hammer on the installation disks, so they work *everywhere*.  It's
> > really frustrating when someone is forced to go with another
> > distribution because our boot disks don't work.
>
> This I've never seen, except on laptops.

There _have_ been various reports of failing bootdisks. Certain Adaptec
controllers spring to mind. Laptops are another problem altogether,
because they often have unsupported video chipsets as well.

BTW, sometimes there are problems with bootdisks that can easily be solved
by applying a well-known patch to the kernel. When these reports are
properly communicated with thew kernel-image maintainer, he tends to get
the standard kernel source fixed in this respect. The fact that the hamm
bootdisks will support FAT32 is an example of this.

Cheers,

Joost