Re: Possible new name for "deity"

On Tue 03 Mar 1998, Brian White wrote:
>   Hypertext Webster Gateway: "daemon"
>
>   From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913)
>
>   Demon \De"mon\, n. [F. d['e]mon, L. daemon a spirit, an evil spirit, fr.
>   Gr. ? a divinity; of uncertain origin.] 1. (Gr. Antiq.) A spirit, or
>   immaterial being, holding a middle place between men and deities in pagan
>   mythology.
>
>   The demon kind is of an intermediate nature between the divine and the
>   human.  --Sydenham.
>
>   2. One's genius; a tutelary spirit or internal voice; as, the demon of
>   Socrates. [Often written d[ae]mon.]
>
>   3. An evil spirit; a devil.
>
>   That same demon that hath gulled thee thus. --Shak.
>

> Remove all daemons from debian (including all ".*d" programs, as they infer
> the same thing) and then I'll agree that you really and truely want to
> avoid anything that could offend a relious person.

Actually, Demon Internet Ltd. is doing great business as an internet
provider (www.demon.net), both in the UK and here in the Netherlands.
I'd guess that there are less people bothered about such names than
you'd expect.

FWIW: I'm also against trove. I shudder to think about the times I'll
have to explain to people here in the Netherlands how to spell it, and
probably also why it's called that. My vote goes to adam, or perhaps
padam (the 'p' for package, as it only handles packages). I think that
padam is easily pronounced (and spelled when necessary) in most
languages.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl