Re: Possible new name for "deity"

> What about all us people who are bothered by having to make
> everything "politically correct"?

There is a big difference between being PC and showing some basic
sensitivity to others. I checked out the OED, and this is what
I find for Deity.

de.ity
('d{e-}-*t-{e-})
Etymology: ME i[deitee], fr. MF i[deit{e'}], fr. LL [italic
   deitat-], i[deitas], fr. L i[deus] god; akin to OE [italic
   T{i-}w], god of war, L i[divus] god, i[dies] day
1) a) n, the rank or essential nature of a god or a supreme being:
      DIVINITY
   i[cap]
   b) n, SUPREME BEING, GOD
2) n, a god or goddess
3) n, one exalted or revered as supremely good or powerful

Basic respect for others who happen to be religious, including
a lot of people among the Debian developers, should prevent us from
using something that clearly means "God" as the name of a program.
I am not religious myself, but I don't see a need to offend others
unnecessarily.

	Thanks

	Bruce