Re: Possible new name for "deity"

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Behan Webster wrote:

> G John Lapeyre wrote:
> >
> >         But, if it's ultimately meant for more than packages, won't a
> > narrower name become a problem later ?
>
> My point was that "Package Manager" is a nebulous term.  It seems to me
> that it covers installing/removing/configuring packages.  Since it seems
> to be the predominant term people are using I didn't want people to say
> that it didn't fit this criteria, so I made this requirement a
> suggestion (although a strong suggestion).
>
> I would hope that the name we pick satisfies this suggestion.

While I have a well defined idea of what package management "means", I
understand your position here, so...how about something more like:

	unipat	UNIversal Package Administration Tool

Or, drop the NI to simplify to "upat" (have I collided with anything
here?)

As a touch typist, the "pat" portion of the name "flows" off the fingers
easily. "upat" is the next easiest to type (admittedly I only have myself
as an example...) and "unipat" is "just another word", as far as
difficulty is concerned.

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_   Author of "The Debian Linux User's Guide"   _-_-_-_-_-_-